Modeling and simulation (M&S) is a time-saving, cost-saving, and risk-reduction tool that is based on a risk analysis of the available options. Modeling and simulation can provide leadership the ability to yield products that are better planned and tested, while reducing overall costs and risks. CPT professionals support the Department of the Navy, to include the Navy and Marine Corps, and M&S Executive in the development and execution of a Modeling and Simulation Roadmap. This will allow its leaders to make informed decisions about the best practices and uses of M&S in training, analysis, acquisition, planning, and T&E. With the use of M&S, organizations can achieve lower costs, lower risks, and reduced cycle time in their programs. CPT professionals work on a Naval M&S Strategy Team that addresses Naval M&S policy, infrastructure, requirements, education and training, communications, and partnerships.
Simulation is used before an existing system is altered or a new system is built. It reduces the chances of failure, eliminates unforeseen bottlenecks, prevents under or over-utilization of resources, and optimizes system performance.
Some of the largest benefits to using M&S include:
- Obtain a better understanding of the system by developing a mathematical model of a system of interest, and observing the system's operation in detail over long periods of time.
- Test hypotheses about the system for feasibility.
- Study the effects of certain informational, organizational, environmental and policy changes on the operation of a system by altering the system's model; this can be done without disrupting the real system and significantly reduces the risk of experimenting with the real system.
- Experiment with new or unknown situations when there is only weak or little information available.
- Identify the "driving" variables, ones that performance measures are most sensitive to, and the inter-relationships among them.
- Identify bottlenecks in the flow of entities (material, people, etc.) or information.
- Use multiple performance metrics for analyzing system configurations.
- Develop well designed and robust systems and reduce system development time.